Facebook Is Depressing Me




Facebook is a constant reminder for me of two things that I am currently without:

1. A man

2. A child

Now the second one is not really a high priority for me, because frankly having a life without kids is pretty awesome.  However, the biological clock is ticking and I would like to push one out before I reach the next decade.  

Why does Facebook depress me?

Well it depresses me because my news feed is inundated with photos of people living pretty extravagant lives that I envy.  I see a plethora of photos of loving couples kissing and cuddling (I hate those pics) to pictures of friend's babies and toddlers (those pics are adorable but annoying).  

Then there are the pictures friends will post of them traveling all over Europe, Africa, or Asia.  They never let the grass grow under their feet and they have to Instagram every shot along the way (I hate these pics the most).

Then there are the relationship status changes 

John Smith is Engaged
Jane Doe is Married
Charlie Brown is in a relationship with Lucy Van Pelt

Like I care!  Okay I'm totally bitter and jealous because they're no longer single and I still am, but it seems like Facebook is getting worse with the perpetual streaming of updates and information about people's personal lives.  I'll be the first to admit that I am very guilty of putting my own biz on blast constantly on Facebook, but over the last year or so, I've decided to take it down a notch.

I'm blogging bitter again and this is the only way I can truly articulate my disdain for this kind of Facebook activity, but sometimes I wonder in the back of my head, do people put on a persona on Facebook to make their lives appear more captivating than they actually are?

Case in point:  

The Facebook friend who always posts their location from city to city?  Do we need to know where you always are?  Okay so you checked in at LAX airport.  I'm glad you're enjoying the sunny weather in L.A., but who cares?  Okay---I totally care and I'm totally jealous.

Or how about this...

The Facebook friend who has 20,000 kids and posts a serial of videos and photos of their children every five seconds.  The kid drops their food on the floor, the kid says "hi" to the camera, the kid burps/farts, the kid dances, the kid just simply--acts like a kid.  So what you got cute kids?  We know this!  We see them every day all day!  Let's see a really old man doing the same exact things...now that's Facebook worthy!  I would rather see FB friends post random shares of news items of the day from CNN or the Huffington Post.  Or post up Internet memes of animals and politicians. 

Oh yea and you can't forget about...

The Facebook friend that is still sharing photos from their wedding or their engagement party almost 6 months after the fact!  C'mon people!  We saw these photos shortly after you got married and now you have 50 more photos to post up that you inconveniently forgot about 6 months after the fact?  So what?  Who cares?  Youz married now!  We get it!  

Breathe...breathe...okay.  Sorry.  Had a mini-meltdown there.

Anywho...so you get my point.  I guess you can sense my bitterness and envy of my own "friends" (define irony) but, perhaps I need to just take a break from Facebook and get my mind and attitude adjusted in a real book.  

Sometimes I wonder if I spend more hours on the Internet than I do sleeping.  

Actually I do spend more time on the Internet than sleeping come to think of it.

Scary. 





Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter