Nerdy Black Girls Are Taking Over Primetime TV!!



I was reading through my Facebook feed today and noticed news posts about the announcement of my two of my favorite BGN's joining forces to take over prime-time TV.  It was released today that Shonda Rhimes (creator of Grey's Anatomy and Scandal) is teaming up with Issa Rae (creator of The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl) to create a new series on ABC!

Cue thunderous applause please.

I'm am so geeked over this news.  First of all, because this is the first sign that BGN's are FINALLY getting their due cred in the media.  Second, I'm proud of both of these women for their major accomplishments!  I am very hopeful that this is JUST the beginning of things to come! As some of you may already know, I've been a loyal fan of Shonda Rhimes since Grey's Anatomy came to television and I stop everything on my Thursday nights to watch my Scandal.

I'm also a loyal fan of the popular webseries The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl.  I found out about the series early last year through a friend sharing a video post on Facebook and I've been addicted ever since!  As a matter a fact, I had the opportunity to interview Issa Rae for my NCIndieSeen movie blog.  She made a sweet and humble gesture by accepting my invitation to interview her.  Now I can say...hey I knew Issa way back when...ha ha.

According to Essence.com Rhimes has helped to greenlight Rae's new series, I Hate LA Dudes, through her Shondaland production company.  I Hate LA Dudes is set to follow the life of a single female journalist who is new to Los Angeles and exploring the dating scene.


I'm so giddy with excitement over this news!  I'll definitely be watching the show when it premieres on ABC (which is the best network for primetime TV in my opinion).

Go 'head Shonda and Issa.  DO THE DO!!



Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter