Fear Of A Black Hat




Remember the movie Fear Of a Black Hat?  Who could forget this 1994 hip hop mockumentary about the rap group N.W.H. (Niggaz With Hats).  The cheeky title was a knock-off from the popular group N.W.A led by Dr. Dre and Eazy-E.  I am such a 90s nerd that sometimes random thoughts swirl into my geeky brain and today's arbitrary memory of this comedy inspired me to write this post.

First of all, if you haven't seen the movie (shame on you) please, please, please order it on Netflix.  Or if you want to catch it online I managed to find a website that has the entire movie uploaded HERE.  I won't give any spoilers on this post, but instead I will highlight the most memorable moments of the film that struck me the most.

What the hell happened to Rusty Cundieff? He (along with Robert Townsend and Keenan Ivory Wayans) was a master in the arts of black comedies.  Rusty not only directed the film but starred in the film as Ice Cold (you can guess who he was satirizing).  Ice Cold was one of the members of NWH along with Tone Def and Tasty Taste.  

The NWH crew agrees to be filmed by Nina Blackburn (played by Kasi Lemmons), a sociologist who analyzes hip hop as a form of communication for her degree.  She uses the documentary as her thesis and follows them around for a year, questioning their motives, beliefs, attitudes towards the hip hop industry, and rides along with them on tour and encounters some awkward moments with the crew.

The group's whole shtick obviously is wearing ridiculously off-the-wall hats that is an extension of their persona. According to N.W.H., hats are a symbol for resistance and revolution since their hatless ancestors were too tired from working all day in the sun to revolt.  This is their bizarre logic for wearing the hats along with their creedo for what they do.

Below is a clip explaining why they call themselves N.W.H and their hat philosophy.

Caution:  Contains some language so turn down the volume or plug in those earphones if you're at work!

     


**SPOILER ALERT**

Ok I lied.  I'm going to talk about a spoiler...only because for me, this was one of the funniest moments in the film.  Like many other hip hop groups/boy bands that get over-commercialized, soon after they tend to break up.  NWH breaks up and each artist has their own solo project.  Tone Def in particular, chooses to go the R&B route.  One of my favorite R&B duos of the 90s was P.M. Dawn.  So when they spoofed that group I was in stitches.  I've seen this clip at least a million times and I laugh every single time.





This movie was waaaay ahead of its time if you ask me.  This road has been traveled before with films like This Is Spinal Tap and Chris Rock's CB4.  However, in my opinion this film supersedes both in terms of talent and raw in-your-face comedy!

The movie also stars Larry B Scott who played the role of Lamar in Revenge of the Nerds.  I guess he was one of the first popular gay blerds depicted in movies. Hahaha.  Take a look at the movie trailer below to to get a summary of this film, and if you haven't seen it...WATCH IT!  You'll laugh so hard that I can guarantee you will shed tears!




Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter