ACTIVE WAYS TO AVOID VALENTINE’S DAY: ALTERNATIVE HOLIDAYS EDITION


cupid-single-love-sex-valentines-day-ecards-someecards


Are you single and lonely, currently with a bullshit person who just so happened to start acting up suddenly as a gift-giving holiday approached, working at a job that understands how not a holiday Valentine’s is, or the brand of single where your not looking for someone, so you’re afraid to try anything with anybody out of fear of starting an accidental relationship? Have no fear! February is chocked full of things to celebrate that will allow you go out by yourself, with friends, or with a person’s whose name you vaguely remember from some frat party you went to that one time without having to be romantic and still optimizing the chance of awkward “why not” sex (or whatever “why not” action you’re into, handshakes, group cartwheels, the possibilities are essentially endless here). Without the pressure of the love component that often comes with the month of February, you don’t have to keep posting those sad statuses on facebook or those tweetgrams that concern me about your general well-being and increase the duty I feel to hug you and slap you simultaneously.


1. Black History Month (which can be broken down into specific days)
Have a favorite black person? It could be yourself, or a neighbor, an astronaut, or someone the you recognize as a historical figure. Whoever. Pick a day during the month and designate it in honor of that person and pick what activities would be the most relevant. Need help? Head on over to here and get some inspiration. I’m gonna celebrate Torrina Sorrels, first woman to refer to herself as “thick” by wear my best pair of leggings and arching the shit outta my back in pictures. Probably on the 23rd just because.


2. Chinese New Year
So I’m celebrating this one this year for most of the upcoming weekend by eating random Asian food, getting some piercings, and buying fireworks (just kidding about the fireworks, but I’m going to a basketball game that could have some random pyrotechnics so I’ll keep my fingers crossed). My friend will probably wear J’s, which I imagine were made in China and I’ve called him a snake before, so I’ll say it counts.

3. Mardi Gras
…splains itself.

4. President’s Day
I’m pretty sure that the only way to celebrate this holiday is listening to 90% of rap songs made before the first time Obama ran for president, including the king of these “My President is Black” by Young Jeezy. Yea there were other presidents, but did those others have a mixtapes centered around them AND their own? Thought so.


20130208-121452.jpg

5. International Condom Day (which so conveniently shares the same day as V-Day)
Are you trying to bang non-romantically and that Thursday just works for you? Are a fan of colorful wrappers and balloons? Or do you just like to have condoms on in in case a moment calls for them? Then Condom Day is great for you! So if you do have sex and the other person takes it too seriously, just say “whoa, I was just celebrating condom day. SAINT Valentines day? I’m not catholic,” and proceed to leave or stay and eat their food, how ever you roll. Or if your just buying, go crazy. Look at variety packs, extra smalls/larges, glow in the darks, these. Just remember, it’s a celebration!

Whatever you end up doing, just remember that you can still have fun if you not one of the people who can do romantic stuff or that’s just not what your into. Your friends don’t just disappear for a whole month (at least hopeful not all) and just doing “stuff” can always be fun. And even if they do, there’s skype and whatever else you use to see your peoples. Then you always have yourself (I’m definitely buying myself a cupcake for Valentine’s, cause I’m worth it). SO, I gonna finish getting ready. And if you’re still just gonna stay home and mope about not having a valentine, let me refer you here.


India with an R, written by someone infrequently reference to as Indira, is a personal blog that shares advice, personal stories, and lists shaped by my experiences as a 20 something black girl. Varying in topics, my blog for the most part seeks to make sense of the world for myself and others while giving you a good laugh or two. 

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter