Blacklandia.



Hello my fellow Blerds! 

First I would like to say my apologies for the lack of posts as of lately. I adore being a contributor on Black Girl Nerds. I actually have a ton of posts that I want to get up within the next couple of weeks. I've been missing in action due to running things on my site Sprinkles and Booze . Also, I am in Portland, OR visiting and living the dream.  

I have a few posts up on my blog about my experiences within Portland so far but something I want to talk about in this post is something I initially feared before arriving to this beautiful city. From more than one person I have heard that there is a massive lack of black/ethnic folks here. Typically, I pride in being the only brown person at an event or establishment. As we all know it can be a bit much when you know an entire city isn't used to seeing someone that is brown. 

I am happy to report that my experience has been that of a positive one. There are a actually a decent amount of black people in Portland, OR. I typically don't take note but since it was drilled into my head that there is a lack of us here. I have mentally been looking for other brown peeps. I can report that i've seen at least 2 other black people a day. I come from an area where diversity is huge so a couple of black people a day is on the lower end of things. I was expecting to only see white folks for miles and miles. Not entirely the case, my friends! 

In any event, I wanted to not be a stranger and send a warm hello from beautiful Portland. More typical rant and rave style posts will be coming in the near future. If you ever had the initial "Omg, I am going to be the only black person!" worry, fear not. We are here and proud to be here! Definitely give the city of Portland a visit. It's well worth the trip. 

Much love and nerdy-ness, 

Latanya Rene 

Related Posts

There is no other posts in this category.
Subscribe Our Newsletter