DIY: No Sew Pillows {from placemats & fabric napkins}

 


A while back {last spring I believe, so it may or may not be available anymore} at Hobby Lobby I bought 2 of these Bon Appetit placemats. My intentions were to turn them into a pillow but after giving it a go on the sewing machine the fabric was just to thick or my lack of sewing skills probably played a hand in that too. ;) I stored the placemats for awhile until I decided to give fabric glue a try and it has worked out great. Not only that but it is so much easier than breaking out the sewing machine. Actually sewing would be a lot faster and just as easy so let me rephrase that and say it is so much easier for us sewing challenged. haha!


Here is a quick tutorial on how I made mine.


What you'll need:
Placemats, fabric napkins or even just fabric pieces
Fabric glue or liquid stitch
Poly fill


Once you got all your supplies ready you can run a bead of glue along the edging of the placemat and then lay the other placemat on top. Just like you were going to glue a piece of paper together, pretty easy. Be sure to leave enough room unglued so that you are able to fit your hand inside otherwise you will have a very flat pillow. I glued mine so that I could turn them inside out but you can also glue them the way you want the pillow to look, either way will work fine and look good.




Once you have your placemats glued together you will want to wait a good 24 hours before you start filling with your poly fill. You don't want your pillow coming apart at the seams. After mine where dry I turned them inside out and filled them with poly fill. I stuffed them to my liking, folded the opening and used the fabric glue to finish it off. I used pins to hold the opening closed until the glue dried. You could also use a hand stitch on the closing if you wanted to go a different route.

All done!



This blue and white pillow was made from a fabric napkin I had laying around.



My hubby thinks I'm already pillow crazy but I'm pretty sure I'll be keeping an eye out on interesting placemats. They always have cute holiday placemats available and would make for some cute holiday pillows, way cheaper than retail priced holiday pillows. Hmmm... maybe I should go check out the after Valentine's day sales. **off to the store** ;) Hope you all had a great Valentine's Day and an even greater weekend.



The yellow chevron pillows are pillow covers from Hobby Lobby.

Pin It

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter