BGN Girl: H. Lovelyn Bettison



Hi. I’m H. Lovelyn Bettison. I’m a writer and self-professed nerd. When I was younger I tried to deny my nerdy ways. I never talked about the books I was reading or the extremely interesting episode of Nova I saw last week. When people mentioned nerds I looked the other way, but as I've gotten older I've started to feel more comfortable in my own skin. Yes, I am a nerd and proud of it. What makes me a nerd? Nerdiness isn’t defined simply by how you look. Some would point to my black plastic- rimmed glasses and say that I’m definitely a nerd.

I say that whether I wore glasses or contacts or decided to get Lasik eye surgery, I’d still be a nerd. I’m a nerd because of what I like and what I do. I play the saxophone and clarinet, but not in a cool way. I spent most weekends in high school stuffed into an extremely unattractive band uniform marching around a football field. I was always more comfortable curled up on the couch with a book than talking to another person. Making causal conversation has never been easy for me. I shun parties preferring to spend my time at home with my computer. I get lost in made up worlds. I write short stories, novels, and personal essays that are mostly true.

I've written two novels so far. Both are works of literary fiction about women who are coming into their own in this crazy mixed up world. Right now I’m working on another novel that’s quite a bit different than what I've written before. It’s about a woman kicking some zombie ass whilst wearing some fine designer outfits. It’s fun to write and hopefully it will be fun to read. You can find out more about my novels and check out my essays on the funny side of living life as a wife, stepmother, writer, klutz, chronic worrier, and nerd on my blog: Nebulous Mooch.

If you would like to be featured as the next BGN Girl, email jamie@blackgirlnerds.com

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter