The Lonely Girl In The Cafeteria: The Introvert



Dear Status Quo,

I am the lonely girl in the cafeteria.  During my freshman year of high school, it was difficult to make friends.  I was not what you would refer to as a "social butterfly" nor was I the kind of person who makes eye contact with you to appear inviting.  I am a reticent individual that sometimes feels more comfort in solitude than in social events.  I prefer spending my days in the library reading books and writing distinct self-serving prose in my journal.

During lunch period, I hated that I was forced to be among throngs of boys and girls my age who glanced in my direction with incredulous looks of suspicion.

"Who is that girl?"

"Why is she so quiet?"

"What is wrong with her"

It was my reserved disposition that was jarring to my peers.  They thought I was the weird one because I chose not to socialize.  Instead of opting to force myself to converse with a complete stranger, simply to engage in random small talk without any substance, I selectively preferred to be silent.  When I choose my words, I choose them wisely.  I do not like to waste my breath nor will I talk to you just to hear myself speak.  I rather you acknowledge the fact that I am a person that chooses to express herself in other ways rather than simply being verbal.  My writing is my best form of expression.  My art is my greatest form of expression.  My athletic ability is my most sincere form of expression.  My music is my most authentic form of expression.

I am who I am and I cannot change that to satisfy you or your social group.  I cannot apologize for having this kind of personality.  I like my quiet, shy, muted self.  I enjoy the peace that comes with being okay with my identity and not conforming to the ideals and agendas of others.

This is me.  Deal with it.

Sincerely,
The Lonely Girl in the Cafeteria

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter