What's wrong with a little color?

Yes, I am crazy most of the time. 


Growing up, I went to many a private school. Now if any of you have been to private school, you know the dreadful attire you are restricted to. You have to wear a uniform, you can't have any "weird" piercings or interesting hair colors. Because of these restrictions, once I graduated high school I dyed my hair the following day. Well, bleached it really.  I started off simple by putting blonde streaks in my hair. I felt so bad ass and amazing but it was the beginning of a ton of crazy and fun hair colors.

About a year ago I went to a new hair salon. Now ladies, I am sure I don't have to tell you that picking a new hair salon can be a rather terrifying event.  I went in with the hopes of getting my hair straightened and I wanted streaks of pink and blue in my hair. Before making the appointment, I spoke to the stylist over the phone about what exactly I wanted done and she said "Sure honey, no problem! Come on in." For those that aren't aware of this, most African American owned hair salons will typically have you in there for the entire day. Being that I had an appointment, I didn't think it would be too bad. I was completely 100% wrong. 


This is Michelle. She is one of my lovely friends and had the most beautiful colorful hair. 

The stylist couldn't get a sitter for her daughter and because of this, she spent half of the time between clients. She was constantly feeding her child or chasing after her. It was the definition of hot mess, but I wasn't leaving until I left with fabulous new hair. Finally, she started working on my hair. I was growing more and more confused when I realized she wasn't prepping my hair to be dyed. I asked her if she was going to bleach my hair for the pink and blue and her response was "Say what, now?!" I told her I wanted to add pink and blue to my hair and she said "Oh honey, we don't look good with those crazy colors. It's ghetto and trashy. I am too classy of a hair stylist to do that to you and your hair".  My calm slightly impatient demeanor quickly  turned into a blind rage. I informed her that I was the client and she is supposed to do what I want. I mean I was paying her for a service! She said that she couldn't have her name attached to anything tacky like a "ghetto dye job". 

Completely insulted and tired from sitting in a salon for 6 hours, I decided to let her finish my hair since she was half way done with the process. Not very happy at all with the outcome, I never went back or referred anyone to the salon again. How do you guys feel about "unnatural" hair colors? Do you think that it's an awful idea? Do you think it's amazing? I personally enjoy when I look like a brown version of Jem. 


Lovin' the rainbow hair, 


P.S. I wanted to share some more lovely black girls with some pretty dope hair. 









Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter