I'm A Girl Who Lives In A Subculture Within A Subculture




Hi.  My name is Katy.  I'm a photograph found on the internet on a Tumblr blog.  My real name is probably not Katy, but for the sake of this blog post, and my message to you---its Katy okay?

I need to take a moment to vent.  It's been awhile since I've had to get this off my chest, but here we go.

Here's the deal.  I'm a goth chick that listens to Alternative Goth, New Wave, Indie, and occasional Hip Hop.  I like to smoke, drink PBR, and play the guitar with my boyfriend Ross.  Ross is a dead ringer for Lenny Kravitz, but don't tell him that.  He swears up and down that he doesn't resemble him since Lenny tossed the long locks years ago.  Ross loves my punk style and we both share the same taste in music.

People judge us not because of our taste in music, not because we're smokers, not because of how we dress or look, but because we're Afro Punks.

We are definitively a subculture within a subculture and that comes with a lot of judgement.

First-- there are not that many of us, which means we don't have a large following of people to back us up when judgement comes our way.

Ross is a fictional character
Second-- people tend to believe we are "trying" to be someone that we're not since apparently Ross and I didn't get the memo that black goths are posers (sarcasm).  I had no idea.

Third-- I hate stereotypes and definitions.  Don't define me as anything---unless you want to define me as a punk chick.  I'll accept that.

The purpose of this message is to think outside of the box people.  Don't define me by the color of my skin or the texture of my hair.  Hell, if you're going to define me, then classify me as a member of the human race.  One who seeks no harsh judgement, but instead would prefer acceptance.

So it's not that serious guys.  Get over it.  Just because you see us walking down the street, doesn't make us any less weird than everyone else.  We're just willing to step outside of the box and commit to who we truly are.

Maybe one day the rest of the world will catch up.






Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter