AN ENTERTAINMENT NEWS RANT



I remember entertainment news as being about the craft of making film and television.  It focused on the artists making extraordinary costumes, sets and presenting the sentiment just right.  It got up close and personal with the Director who was the leader of the team.  And I specifically remember getting excited when Entertainment Tonight visited Eddie Murphy on the set of Beverly Hills Cop.  I vividly remember them pulling him off to the side and asking him questions as they cut to behind the scene clips of Eddie becoming Axel Foley just after the Director has yelled, "Action!"  It really got you excited about projects and it really made me want to be an Entertainment Journalist at a young age. 

And when the opportunity came, the Entertainment Journalist leaped out of me.  I work freelance as an Entertainment Journalist for a popular screenwriting podcast.  I say this not to self-promote but to say… I’m not sure where to go from here without avoiding what entertainment news has become.

Entertainment news has changed so much since the 80s.  I suppose there was always gossip associated with celebrity but that seems to have spilled over into the realm of news.  In my book there is a definite difference between news and gossip.  And then there was this weird period when Entertainment Tonight kept doing stories on Playboy Playmates.  I’m not judging the bunnies; I guess that falls into entertainment; but as a young girl I had no idea who these people were and could care less about where they grew up and getting a sneak peek of their photo shoot.  It tested my nerves and eventually I lost patience and stopped watching ET.  But “news” is everywhere.  You can’t get away from a flashing headline on the radio, TV or internet. 

Somewhere between now and then Entertainment News became deeply voyeuristic and obsessed with celebrity.  They still go to the set and talk about artistry but it’s bogged down with stories that I just find annoying.  I really can’t stand to hear about so and so’s break-up with such and such.  I feel it’s in bad taste to have a journalist who’s perhaps met the celebrity in question only once for an interview, or not at all, to speculate on who broke up with who and present it as news.  Furthermore, it’s so… skuzzy for a random, full-grown journalist to ask some pre-teen or teenage idol about whom they are dating.  I understand the info is meant for other teens who may be infatuated with the celebrity but if you step outside that and understand how the information is acquired... it’s gross and awkward.  And it’s nobody’s business teen or not. 

While I’m ranting, who gives a flying fork about who’s gay and who’s not?  Be honest, what does that have to do with you, or me, or anybody?  So, here comes the argument… it’s inspirational.  The same could be said of the reports of Angelina Jolie’s double mastectomy.  

The way the media has picked over this subject is overwhelming.  Is it shedding light on an important subject or is it overexposure?

I understand it’s weighing on her mind and why she would openly discuss it.  It’s an epic scenario.   But it’s constantly in our faces.  How does this one story get pushed in our faces countless times in one day and why? 

I don’t want you to think that I’m a hypocrite; because I have my opinions about celebrities.  I’ve talked about a flashy headline or two with my friends. But to put journalists in fancy suits and dresses and pretend as if they are presenting something important is bologna. 

Yet, on the other hand I have a certain amount of respect for a show like TMZ, which I’ve seen a few times.  They are honest about what their program is.  I don’t always understand the crazy questions but their intent is obvious and they don’t hide it. 

Anyway, I still love reports from the set and getting sneak peeks of movies that haven’t been released into theaters yet.  I hope to be a reporter who does that but at the same time I hope to avoid the gossipy stuff that is so integrated into entertainment reporting.  I want to be an Entertainment Reporter who gets the stories of the artists; who they are and what moved them to push forward with a specific project.  That’s what Entertainment News is to me. 
End Rant


Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter