Love Sucks! (Top Ten Anti-Love Songs)

Love sucks! OK, it really doesn't. It's great, actually, but I can remember a time during my singledom that I didn’t think love, relationships, and guys, in general-- were all that hot. Luckily, I can look back on those days with the sentiment of “It gets better,” because it does. But I remember the songs that got me through those rough patches.


 Here’s my top ten “Love Sucks!” songs in no particular order. Each singer takes a different approach. Some singers talk about longing for a lost love; others, basically threaten to set the guy’s house on fire. The genres span the gamut from R&B to Trip-hop to rock but the sentiment is consistent in all of them: break ups are ugly, but beautiful and cathartic when put to song.



1) Is It a Crime? by Sade


 Ms. Adu is the queen of all things sexy and melancholy. You can never go wrong blasting this song.



2) Sour Times by Portishead

How much more pitiful can you get than singing “Nobody loves me!” over and over again?



3) Lions, Tigers, and Bears by Jazmine Sullivan


Oh, the “I’m scared to love again because that last @sshole broke my heart!” songs are always good. Thank you, Ms. Sullivan!



4) You Oughta Know by Alanis Morrisette



The 11-year-old me played this song at full blast with no idea of what the hell Alanis Morrisette was really talking about. And yes, I was equally shocked that the song was written about the guy who played sweet Uncle Joey from Full House. Why, Joey? WHY?!?!





5) I’m Going Down by Mary J. Blige
Old school Mary J. Blige, yo! This is a remake of the Old Rose Royce song and just as good in my opinion.

 


6) Back to Black by Amy Winehouse
Amy, you died too soon! I’m sure you had more guys out there who needed to be put on notice.



7) Hopeless by Dionne Farris
I’ve felt this way when I couldn’t get a decent date to save my life!



8) Head Over Heels by Tears for Fears



These are the only male singers on my countdown. I love this song for the vocals and the lyrics.Takes me back to my Pretty in Pink/Breakfast Club/John Hughes period.




9) My Love by Jill Scott
Who hasn’t seen a guy that you care about hook up with a chick you know is a twat waffle? I cry every time I hear this song.







10) Rolling in the Deep by Adele

This is the song that launched her career. Whatever dude pissed her off enough to sing this tune deserves a thank you... and probably a punch to the nose.


By Shelly Ellis, Black Girl Nerds Contributor

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter