Dating While Introvert



Is it possible to find love as an introvert? I once read this book called Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain. In the book Cain exemplifies the theory that introverts are in fact not shy, quiet, reticent people at all.  They are actually extroverts who choose their words carefully.  She also believes most introverts elect to express themselves more passionately through writing rather than speaking. I find that to be true in my case. I’m not a social person by any stretch of the imagination, and I’m usually the wallflower at any party or social event. However, I an extreme extrovert when I write.

Or tweet for that matter. 

How does this all correlate to dating? How can one choose to find love if he or she is an unwavering introvert with a predilection for solitude? Is it possible to relish in my unobtrusive personality that allows me to feel comfortable and cozy in the background, rather than live out loud and give notice to others? I’m not sure I know the answers to any of these questions and perhaps most of them are rhetorical in nature, but I can’t help but feel like somehow my personality is what tends to get in the way of finding a relationship. The same way an intoxicating substance can get in the way of focused driving, is it possible to suffer from the other type of DWI? In this case my DWI would not result in some sort of conviction or suspension of my license, but instead the consequences could be more severe.

What if I grow up to be the single girl who lives in her own apartment and has 3 cats and a dog to keep her company? 

What if I’m that girl who is always the bridesmaid at every wedding and tackle every other bridesmaid with the force of an NFL linebacker to catch some stupid bouquet? 

What if I’m the lonely girl who sits in her apartment drinking copious amounts of wine and stuffing my face with food while watching The Notebook for the 37th time? 

I don’t want to change who I am, but I don’t want to be single forever. Sometimes I wish that my life would operate like a Sandra Bullock film and I could just wish my way into a romantic comedy where I always get the guy. Instead my life has turned into a really bad Halle Berry movie where the guys I have come across in my lifetime were psychotic and just all around Mr. Wrongs. Wait we’re not talking about Halle’s real life are we?

I kid Halle. I kid.

I have to make light and joke about this; otherwise I’d cry my eyes out. No, this is not worth my tears, but let me tell you, dating while introvert sucks.

Maybe I can write may way into a relationship. Now there’s a novel idea!

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter