DIY Wooden Sign: And the Stockings Were Hung...


DIY Wooden Christmas Sign: And the Stockings Were Hung...


It's July and the 25th so that means it's Christmas In July today. ;) I know most of you don't even want to hear about Christmas yet but this mama is already present shopping. Yes! I am that person. Who starts like umm, the day after Christmas. I thought a whole week of Christmas in July might be an overkill so here is my one day to share all my July Christmas joy with you in a simple DIY craft.

Supplies:
 
 
 
1x8x6 piece of wood (cut down to 36")
**If you can find a 4' piece that would be less waste but don't buy premium since it will be painted.**
 
Lettered Thickers or Stickers
**You will need 2 packages to have enough n's most likely. There are 3 e's and n's, most have enough e's but not enough n's but check beforehand.**
 
Knobs
Spray Paint
Hot Glue, Stain and Sandpaper (optional)

Directions:

First I cut my piece of wood down to 36 inches. You can adjust the size of the board depending on how big or small you want your letters. If you have bigger letters you are going to need more length.

After I had my board cut I stained mine with Minwax Weathered Oak. This step is optional but I wanted my letters to have some definition other than plain wood. You could also spray paint your whole board a color prior to placing the letters if you wanted them to be a specific color.

Once your board is dry place the letters on and press firming so they are stuck nice and good. I used an extra piece of wood after they were all placed and held it on top for a bit to make sure no spray paint would try to leak through. My recommendation would be to use thickers if you can. They are so much easier to peel off afterwards. Regular stickers work too. I used star ones for a wreath project a few weeks ago and they peeled off fine just a little more work getting them started. If you don't know what thickers are they are thick stickers, puffy foam ones.

DIY Wooden Christmas Sign: And the Stockings Were Hung...


Now that you have your saying in place you will want to spray paint it in a nice even coat. I used black spray paint but of course you could always use any color of your choosing. Once the paint is dry peel off your stickers and you have your sign. I took a piece of sandpaper and roughed mine up around the edges a little. I like a little more rustic look but that is an optional step as well. This project is definitely customizable to your liking.

DIY Wooden Christmas Sign: And the Stockings Were Hung...


The last step is to place on your knobs. You can have as many or as few as you need. I choose to remove the screw from the knob and hot glue mine on but you can of course actually drill a whole and screw them on as well. My screws were to long without having to cut them so I went the easier route and hot glued them on. If I was holding something other than stockings I might have went the other option. I don't know how most people do but when we fill stockings we remove them from wherever they are placed and lay them in front of the tree or in our daughter's case in front of Santa's stash. ;)

DIY Wooden Christmas Sign: And the Stockings Were Hung...


What I love about this sign is that we have always had a fireplace but were we rent here doesn't and it gives me a fun place to put stockings. We have been here for 2 Christmas's so I probably should have done this before now.

I finished this project in one day, less than one day really so it qualifies for the super easy category in my opinion. :) If you don't have the power tools to trim the board down be sure to have it cut at your local store beforehand.
 
Where do you hang your stockings?
 

 
You can find all my other DIY projects here.
 

Pin It


Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter