Movie Review: The To Do List

by Terisa Thurman
@SFTerisa



PREMISE
Brandy Klark, played by Aubrey Plaza, has just graduated from High School as Valedictorian.  Brandy feels pressured to become more sexually experienced before she goes to college in the fall so she makes a list of sexual acts that she wants to accomplish.  The movie is just as awkward as the premise sounds but has a few good laughs due to the familiar faces of the cast which includes Bill Hader (SNL), Alia Shawkat (Arrested Development), Donald Glover (Community).  Plus, it's set in 1993.  Just seeing all those novelties of the 90's is a good time for example skorts, Trapper Keepers, Caboodles and the Running Man.  



REVIEW
When I was a teenager, movies about youth trying to lose their virginity were mostly from a male perspective.  It often objectified women and made for an uncomfortable experience.  The To Do List which is told from the female perspective can be uncomfortable at times but for other reasons yet it does have some laughs.  I was able to enjoy it despite the subject matter and I'm not sure if it's because I'm older and wiser of if it's just that the Teen Sex comedy isn't so bad once you take out the female objectification.  Also, Brandy Klark's mission to have sex is so methodical, it could be considered empowering. 



The movie isn't all laughs there are some hits and misses with a lot of misses but with a running time of just under 2 hours there are so many opportunities to drag.  At times it felt like this girls objective to lose her virginity just wasn't a big enough topic.  I often found myself wondering who cares...and found the most humor in the 90's references.  I have to say, I feel this movie speaks more to audiences who will remember the 90's over the modern teen consciousness.  I think if I was an inexperienced teen watching this movie, I may be horrified...which is kind of funny (to the adult me).

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter