Do You Have a Theme Song?

Photo from fanpop.com


For the past few months, I've been binge watching TV shows I must have slept through while they were on the air years ago. One of the shows I'm watching at the moment is Ally McBeal (yes, from way back in 1997). After finishing the first season recently, I can say that what I love most about the show at this point is its honest and accessible depiction of female relationships and the constant quest for self-discovery many of us face.

If you're unfamiliar with the show, it follows the trials and tribulations (pun intended) of the title character (played by Calista Flockhart), a twenty-eight year old lawyer who relocates to Boston after she lands a job at a major law firm. She's recently single, after a years-long relationship with her boyfriend, so she welcomes the fresh beginning. But her happiness takes a nose dive once she learns that the man who jilted her also works at the firm--with his wife.

So, as you can imagine, hijinks--and genuine heartfelt moments--ensue. While Ally is determined to move forward with her life, she takes a few stumbles but rarely fails to learn the lesson along the way (show creator David E. Kelley is excellent at providing a moral center in each episode). During the first season, Ally, with the encouragement of her colleague, begins to see a therapist. Dr. Clark (played by none other than Tracey Ullman) suggests she find a theme song for herself. Almost at the same time, Ally and I both say, "A theme song?" As it turns out, Dr. Clark recommends Ally find a tune that perfectly channels her life or her as a person, something to which she really relates and refers to during both her pitfalls and celebratory moments. While Ally is struggling to think of one, I was doing the same.

If you were to ask me years ago what my theme song was, I would answer, without hesitation, "Candy" by Cameo. Only because Candy was a nickname that I couldn't (and still can't) escape, so I acquiesced to it (and just so happened to love the song anyway). But it doesn't define me. So what does? Well, if I'm being honest with myself, I think that answer would change on a daily basis. For instance, right now I'd probably say "Living on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi, "I'm Coming Out" by Diana Ross or Sheryl Crow's "If It Makes You Happy." Other days, it might be Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again" or something else. I think a theme song should encompass your dreams, passions, personality and/or experience, though it's hard to pick one from a stack of great tunes. Ally McBeal's theme song, which she hasn't directly mentioned yet in the series, is "Searching My Soul" by Vonda Shepard. It's an upbeat, empowered ballad by the singer, who so far has appeared on every episode of the series (as a bar singer). It captures every ounce of Ally's personal journey, hopes and past fears.


 


 So ask you, fine readers, what would you say is your theme song?

Candice Frederick is a former editor for Essence Magazine and a NABJ Award recipient. She writes the film blog Reel Talk and serves as co-host of “Cinema in Noir”.

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter