My Problem with "Either...Or..."



I was jamming to Dr. Dre's song "Still D.R.E." recently when someone I knew said, "Let me find out you listen to that kind of music!" Which I found funny because I listen to many different kinds of music, including rap (though usually not current). But this person's comment continued to weigh on me hours later, because I realized my growing frustration with the assumption that just because we like one thing we can't like another.

I'll explain. From my understanding, if you like Dr. Dre's music, then you can't simultaneously enjoy listening to, say, Heart or Maroon 5. Similarly, if you like 12 Years a Slave, you can't also like Django Unchained. And if you read Amy Tan books, then that means you can't possibly also appreciate Alice Walker's The Color Purple. Why is this? Well, I'm not entirely certain of the mechanics behind this mindset, but I get the impression that it comes down to what is more accepted within our culture. By saying you support a non-black artist's work somehow means your support of a black artist comes into question.

Here's the thing: in my world these varied artists and projects can and do coexist, and--here's the real shock--I can like love both at the same time. Why? Because, why not? How does my love for Alice Walker's work have anything to do with my adoration for, say, The Kite Runner? It's this limiting mentality that I find both depressing and aggravating. This antipathetic approach to understanding another's interests, as well-intentioned as it may be, has caused too many people to be ashamed of what they enjoy. And I really can't think of anything less fun than hiding what you love.

It's time we begin to celebrate each of our diverse interests for it is what makes us that much more beautiful.

End of rant.

Candice Frederick is a former editor for Essence Magazine and a NABJ Award recipient. She writes the film blog Reel Talk and serves as co-host of “Cinema in Noir”.

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter