K-Dramas Every Nerd Girl Should Watch



Early this year I discovered the awesome and magical world of k-pop, and shortly after I found out about the equally awesome and magical world of k-dramas. Even though I've loved every single show I've watched, I had a tough time choosing my first k-drama. I spent hours scrolling through tv series and a few days adding and removing shows from my queue. To prevent anybody else from being intimidated by the seemingly endless selection of k-dramas here are the five best first k-dramas (which also happens to be the only five k-dramas I've watched)



IRIS: this will always have a special place in my heart because it was my first k-drama. IRIS is a great first k-drama for fans of action-thrillers like the Bourne series. The balance of this show was close to perfect. There was plenty action to hold your attention, it had just enough romance without getting too mushy, and the right amount of twists, suspense and surprises to keep you watching.



Coffee Prince: If you love coffee and like Prince, Coffee Prince is the perfect first k-drama for you. The real reason to watch Coffee Prince is for Go Eun Chan. Something about Eun Chan's goofy, tomboy, awkwardness had me hooked from the start. Seeing her try to balance her work and personal life while trying to keep her gender a secret from Choi Han Gyul and the rest of her co-workers made this show very entertaining. There is another spot in my heart reserved for Coffee Prince because it was the first time I really loved a romantic-comedy.



Vampire Prosecutor: Its a super cool crime-drama with a vampire (a very attractive Korean vampire) that fans of crime shows like CSI should definitely choose as their first k-drama. Each case was different and unpredictable but I especially loved that most questions brought up about Prosector Min Tae Yeon's vampire origins were answered when it ended. What I really love about this and every k-drama I've watched is that it ended. I didn't have to worry about this show becoming another crime show with routine cases and predictable outcomes because I knew that Prosecutor Min had important personal mysteries to solve.



Boys Over Flowers: This show had a few crazy moments but its still a great first k-drama for fans of romantic-comedies. As much as I like Geum Jan Di, the reason why I kept watching this was for the F4 and more specifically Gu Jun Pyo and Yoo Ji Hoo. During the first couple episodes Ji Hoo almost immediately seems like the perfect man for Jan Di, but Jun Pyo goes from being a rich, arrogant bully to a better, more lovable person.



Good Doctor: Fans of medical dramas like ER (or even the medical comedy-drama Scrubs) should definitely choose Good Doctor as the first k-drama. It's one of the most heart-warming shows I've ever watched because of Park Shi On. He's living with autistic savant disorder, but he doesn't let that get in his way of fulfilling the promise he made to his brother to become a doctor. Shi On ends up becoming a resident in training in the pediatrics ward at Sungwon University Hospital (which is filled with some of the more adorable kids) and spends the next six months learning not only how to become a better doctor but how to be a better, more mature person.


Maria-Elena Amour loves comic books, zombie shows like The Walking Dead and has an affinity for Hello Kitty. She's Blasian (half black, half asian), a fangirl who enjoys drawing, watching TV and movies, and periodically gaming. She started drawing Hello Kitty along with her favorite superheroes, villains, and others. You can follow her on Twitter @Amour707

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter