Starting Over



There comes a time in one's life when you have to make a decision that could quite possibly change the course of your life forever.  I have found that sometimes you have to make small sacrifices in order to see the big picture and to move a few inches closer to your goal.  I want to share my story, because I know there are many girls out there like me, who either feel conflicted or have made a similar decision and feel like they are alone.

For many years I have put my own dreams and passions on the back burner to live a practical life and endure a mundane existence.  I figured the life of a starving artist is just not ideal for a woman in her late 20's and when I left the Big Apple (that would be NYC of course) to find a "real job" working in corporate America, I felt like I made a choice that would suit my financial needs and would gain the approval of friends and family who felt that my struggles in NYC were futile.  I later moved to Wilmington, NC working for a Fortune 20 company that offered great benefits, a competitive salary, educational rewards, and all the perks that a top Fortune company has to offer their employees.  I worked for a company that had a full service cafeteria and a gym!  Who couldn't ask for more right?

Although I felt comfortable in this role, I was very unhappy.  I was unhappy working for a company that did not offer any growth or upward mobility.  Their creedo was based on complacency and monotony.  I was also very dissatisfied living in Wilmington.  Although I made a lot of friends who were near and dear to me, the city had nothing else to offer me.  I mean c'mon, I moved from the biggest city in the world where there is non-stop action to a small cozy beach town where there were only a few places that were remotely interesting.  Wilmington was just not my cup of tea.  I love diversity, multi-cultural experiences, and being surrounded by people with eccentric personalities and tastes.

I weighed heavily in my mind whether or not I would stay in Wilmington at a job that provided financial security and be unhappy, or if I would bite the bullet and move back home to Virginia Beach with my family (a slightly bigger city) and focus on what I really want to do which is writing and content creating.  I've been down this road before where I have pursued the starving artist role hoping to fulfill my dreams and it didn't quite pan out the way I'd like.  I moved to NYC with a few bucks in my pocket and a vision to pursue a career as a filmmaker and screenwriter.  My dream of becoming a filmmaker has not fully dissipated away, but  I don't feel as strong about film production as I did when I attended film school.  My passion for writing however, has never stopped.  I've been writing since I was 10 years old.  It started with poetry and then it progressed to writing short stories.  In my teens I wrote many screenplays.

In hindsight, I realize that I have always been a writer, but I never branded myself with that title.  Now that I am in my thirties and I have gained a bit more wisdom and insight than I have in the past, I realize that every little experience whether it was a major accomplishment or a major mishap, it happens for a reason.  I decided to quit my job and move back to my hometown with no job, to focus on what I feel deep down inside God created me to be.

As it turned out, when I moved back home I did receive a job opportunity with another Fortune company, and I am grateful I can still earn an income while I pursue my passion.  However, I refuse to take my eye off the prize.  If you find that you are in a place where you are unhappy, take a moment, step back, and consider if this is something you are willing to do for the rest of your life.

A famous Sci-fi  filmmaker who is the king of all nerds by the name of George Lucas once said, "Don't listen to your peers, don't listen to the authority figures in your life--your parents, and don't listen to the culture.  Only listen to yourself, that's where you're going to find the truth."

I finally found my truth and I have made the best decision that suits my needs and desires.

May the force be with you.


Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter