New Series Alert! Orphan Black, on BBC America




I'm one of the few nerds in nerd society that do not regularly watch the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC).  There are many nerds, including contributors on this blog, who are loyal viewers of shows like Dr. Who.  I am ashamed to admit I have not yet seen an episode of this program that is beloved by nerds everywhere, but I have every intention to do so, very soon.  In the meantime, I love it when a brand new series emerges into cable television and strikes my fancy.  It is rare that a pilot episode blows me away.  Only a handful of TV shows have done that for me in my lifetime and once that happens I'm hooked on them till the end.

In the case of the new BBC America series called Orphan Black, this is one of those shows that had me at hello.  The opening scene begins with a girl named Sarah at a train station who glances into the direction of another girl who looks exactly like her.  Not similar or remotely akin to one another, but identical.  This twin who is a dead-ringer immediately becomes dead by jumping in front of a moving train onto the train tracks and goes splat!

No don't worry, this is not a spoiler, because this is only the first 5 minutes of the show, the real story begins after Sarah grabs the dead woman's purse, fishes into her wallet, and then decides to assume her identity.  As it turned out Sarah's clone had 75K in her bank account.

Once Sarah decides to take on the deceased woman's identity who we now know as Elizabeth, strange things begin to occur and Sarah has crossed paths into the complicated life of a woman that she now no longer wants to be.  However, it is too late and assmuing the identity of Elizabeth leads to a series of unfortunate events such as murder, police investigations, and Sarah's own daughter being subject to this ill-fated mishap.

Why does Sarah do such things you ask?


You will have to watch the show to find out.


Perhaps there is a serious lesson to be learned when one chooses to steal the identity of clone...or is there more to this story than we know?


The twist to the clone story?  There is more than just one clone.  Ahhh the plot thickens!


I'm hooked and will definitely be tuning in next week to watch.



Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter