Geeks and Nerds: There's A Difference



 The terms "geek" and "nerd" are used interchangeably.  I myself have even used them as one and the same on this very blogsite.  However, I recently found out that apparently there is a difference between a GEEK and a NERD.  Would you like for me to elaborate?

A Nerd is someone who is socially inept and awkward.  They have a difficult time making friends and tend to be the wallflower at any social occasion.  That is soooo me!  A nerd is also someone with a very expanded vocabulary and a braniac at best.  They are either a whiz in Math, Science, or some other academic subject.  In other words, their cranium is used at its highest capacity and they either have excellent memories (History buffs) or have an uncanny ability to solve calculations (engineering major).  I'm defintiely NOT the latter.

A geek is someone who is not necessarily an intellect, but someone who is an avid collector of something and someone who has a obsessive interest in a subject or state of being.  For example, a "Trekkie" is someone obsessed with the Star Trek franchise and at times may even identify one's self as a person or character from the show.  Or someone obsessed with Facebook is a social networking addict.  A person who has a large collection of comic books or anime DVDs is a geek by definition.  The term geek in some circles was at one time considered a derogatory term and is now considered to be a term of endearment.  Geeks also tend to look more nerdy than actual nerds do.

I considered myself definitely both a nerd and a geek, but I'm more nerdy than geeky if that makes any sense.  I'm definitely socially awkward and cannot look people in the eye when I speak to them.  I'm pretty smart I think, but not whiz kid or anything.  I also have an obsession with blogging (obviously) and I have been known to collect many things including geeky items like comic books, sports cards, and tons of DVD movies.  I don't identify necessarily with a character on a TV show or a movie.  But I've fantasized about becoming one (I would totally trade places with Sookie Stackhouse if given the opportunity).

Anywho.  I know these definitions may not jive with everyone, but I was reading up on this and had no idea of the distinction between the two.  What are your thoughts?  Are you a nerd or a geek?  Or are you both like me?

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter