Writing: The Dream That Won’t Die



There is so much that I don't remember, so many missing days. My parents tell me these stories about things I said or did and maybe that's the way it happened, but great chunks of my childhood are a hazy mystery to me. There is one thing I remember, one moment that never disappeared. I remember writing my first book. It had a white cover with thin plaid lines (red, green, and blue) and it was little more than a few sentences about flowers. It wasn't more than 7 pages long, complete with illustrations, but I remember the weight of it in my hand, the sound the binding made when it opened, and most importantly how it felt to have created something. I have known for a long time now that I am supposed to be a writer.

I won't be so cheesy as to call it destiny, but let's just say I've always had a strong inclination to put pen to paper and no matter what else is going on in my life, whether I am stateside or abroad, working or playing, there is usually a notebook in my purse and a pen behind my ear. I like to write everything: random thoughts, poems, song lyrics, essays, angry diatribes, novels, you name it, I've written it. So why am I not a full time writer? Well at first it was because when I was 9 years old my mentor told me that in order to be a good writer I needed to have something to write about. Growing up in Wisconsin, arguable one of the more boring places to be me in, I didn't think I would ever have too much to say if I didn't escape. So off I went in search of adventures, and I found them on multiple continents, in bars I shouldn't have been in, on buses I wasn't quite sure were going where I thought they would, in grocery stores, in classrooms. Everywhere I've been has been a story and I've been writing all along, but something happened during this journey. I stopped believing that I could be an actual full time writer. I mean caviler wishes and tuna fish budget aside, I believe in paying bills. I don’t do the starving artist thing. So I did what I knew how to do, I worked hard doing other things and traveled and launched myself into all sorts of ridiculous situations in search of fun things to write about...and from time to time I published an essay or a poem.

When I lived in Japan I even had a bi-monthly column. But mostly I have just been amassing a stack of full notebooks. Finally two years ago, my mom mentioned (for the millionth time) that I should maybe take some of my poetry and put it together in a book. Christmas was near, so I thought, okay, sure, why not. And thus God, Hair, Love, and America was born. I self published it because I had been taught that poetry doesn't sell (myth) and that it would be harder to find an agent and a publisher than to win the lottery (possibly true). But there was that feeling again. I held the book in my hand and thought...YES. Moreover since I did it myself it was exactly what I wanted. My art, my words, my choice of font, all mine. So then what? I had a party, did a few readings, sold 300 hundred copies, then I went back to my regularly scheduled life of being a traveling nerd. Actually I got a job, where I got to be head traveling nerd. I ran a small non-profit leadership program and took high school students to Guatemala.

If you have ever worked for a non-profit, you know that it is not a job. It is your life. Everything else comes second. Weekends? Nights? I worked whole weeks at a time on 24 hour duty. And it was amazing, and kind of insane. I woke up about a year ago and realized I didn't even know where I was. I hadn't written anything since I got the job. So I got crafty. I took poetry and integrated it into the curriculum of our program, and made the kids write. Really it was selfish, but it was the only way I could build time in for me to write, and it turned out to be awesome. Not only did writing provide the youth with a forum to express things they were too shy to say, but at the end of the year I had a stack of about 300 pages of their poetry, gorgeous, deep, kick ass shit. So I took it and worked with a youth committee to produce an anthology called GV The Poetry (which if available online…all the proceeds go toward the scholarship fund, so I have to give the hard sell on that one: https://www.createspace.com/4032128) And with the poems I managed to write, I put together a book called Love and Guatemala.

I will be hosting the book launch on Friday, April 19th at 6:30PM at the Amor Spiritual Center (2528 Beacon Ave S.) for those of you in Seattle, WA. For the rest all three books are available for purchase online. I didn't mean for this to be a commercial, what I really wanted to say is that some dreams don’t die. Maybe I won’t make a million dollars off of my books and retire at 35 in the South of Spain, well so what? The dream was always writing and it continues to be as I navigate the next steps of my career. In the meantime I have decided to become a resource for other people interested in self-publishing their work. I run a writer’s group on the first Sunday of the month for writers who somehow got sidetracked and need to get back on track to heed their calling. We meet from 12:30-2:00PM at Amor Spiritual Center, 2528 Beacon Ave S. Seattle, WA. For those of you not in Seattle, find me on facebook with any questions.

Happy Writing.

Reagan Jackson is a writer, artist, YA fiction aficionado, afro-punk, international educator, and community organizer based in Seattle, WA. You can find her most Tuesdays at the Seattle Poetry Slam or maybe just being nerdy at her favorite bookstores.

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter