My Struggles With Weight

Photo courtesy: http://rawgirltoxicworld.com


For many years now I have struggled with my weight.  I've done practically everything from liquid diets, no carb diets, Weight Watchers, even going vegan for 3 months.  I've decided to get on a strict regime and focus on two things:  portion control and exercise.  It sounds so simple and yet for me it feels so complex.

I'm an emotional eater like most women and use food to fill me up when I'm stressed, depressed, or feel some emptiness that food is somehow supposed to fill.  It's been a journey that I've been battling for so long now going up and down, that it feels frustrating that in my thirties, I am still at war with this issue.

I've written a journal that contains a bucket list of sorts of my breakthroughs for 2012.  Losing  weight is one of them.  I'm seeking a breakthrough happening this year for sure and I have to put the work behind my faith.  As the saying goes---faith without works is dead.  If I know I'm capable of achieving this goal I have to not only believe it, but put actions behind my words.  I have a long term goal of wanting to run a marathon one day.  There are people in their 60s and 70s who have done it.  Why can't I?  Oprah did it.  P. Diddy did it.  I'm certainly not exempt from being a marathon runner.

There's a cool blog called Black Girls RUN! that I've been reading a lot lately.  I know for me that this type of change is something that I cannot do overnight.  I must take baby steps in order to learn more about how to change my lifestyle.  Just like I didn't learn to read or write overnight---I also can expect to balance exercise and healthy eating overnight.  I've lived a fast-paced lifestyle for decades (especially after high school) where I depended on fast-food and embraced a sedentary state of being.

It's got to stop.  Time to get my fitness, and by writing it on this blog, I am letting you out there be my witness.

J.

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter